Occupy your browser's home page with OCCUPYPORTLAND.ORG, PDXGA.ORG, or PORTLANDOCCUPIER.ORG to stay connected and informed

Check out our live video feed!

November 12, 2011
By Prof P

Watch live streaming video from occupyptown at livestream.com

For Videos click here.

Tell City Hall and the Police Dept to protect free speech instead of park curfews.

CALL POLICE DEPT

E-mail: dan@portlandoregon.gov

LaVonne Griffin-Valade
City Auditor
City Hall @ 1221 SW 4th Avenue, Room 140, 97204
Phone: (503) 823-4078
E-mail: lavonne.griffin-valade@portlandoregon.gov

84 Responses to Check out our live video feed!

1. jaydon on November 12, 2011 at 11:40 pm

no it is pretty bad:(

• Donna on November 13, 2011 at 11:31 am

Thank you, You Rock. keep it strong Portland!

2. Liane on November 13, 2011 at 12:02 am

I love you, I love you, I love you! Thank you for fighting for me and for others who cant be there.

3. Guy Smiley on November 13, 2011 at 12:07 am

Thank you Portland..looks amazing, but I never trust just one camera anymore. ;)
    -A frightened 43 yr old Canadian.

• Xplo on November 14, 2011 at 12:10 am

I was there it was amazing!

4. stan chaz on November 13, 2011 at 12:25 am

Just some words of encouragement for my friends:
    America USED to work. The people had work. The system worked. Hey, EVEN the Congress used to work (sometimes). God knows, it was far, far, far from perfect -but at least we all had some share in the struggles AND the rewards. But somewhere along the way, we lost our way. Because now we have an economy and a political system that seems to work only for the rich. What they call trickle down economics.leaves most of us out in the cold cold rain. We need to get back to what America was, and what it should be, and what it can be. Occupy Wall Street is no longer just a place called Zuccotti Park Zuccotti Park is everywhere. You can beat us and arrest us and tear-gas us, you can try to permit us to death.but you cant kill an idea. You cant keep down a people’s hopes and dreams for a better life..a life with dignity and freedom.for us, and for our kids. More power to Occupy Wall Street, as it spreads to every town and city because OWS is us, and for us, and by us. It comes up from the grassroots, and it lifts us up in turn. With OWS America has found it’s voice, and that voice demands fairness and justice -for ALL. This land IS our land! AND WE WANT IT BACK! We want our LIVES back! We want our FUTURE back! But it’s more than just words. it’s more than just politics. it’s your LIFE, and how you want to live it. So why not take some time, find a quiet place somewhere, and consider this: Each of us has only one brief life.one chance.one roll of the dice.and many choices. It’s time to choose.to riskand to act. If not nowthen when? If not you, then.who? You DO have the power my friend.and the choice is yours. Don’t let your dreams die.

5. Robert G on November 13, 2011 at 12:37 am

Get the fuck out of the park, How are you paying for this shit. I hope u get your head bashed by a riot shield .

6. mezocosm on November 13, 2011 at 1:09 am

When will this dude get off the camera

7. Citizen Alan on November 13, 2011 at 1:11 am

Please, stop this silly charade pretending to represent yourselves as the 99% and pack up and go back to infesting your poor parents basements with your pot smoke and friends of low moral character and matching I.Q.s. You were all overindulged and spoiled as children and have no real, working understanding of economics and the true powers of human nature which drive real working, educated people toward creating and raising families.

You are in fact, the .05%. The Marxists. The Communists. The hard-core union labor thuggies. The children who were given trophies for losing in little league. You are the generation that -is- the grasshopper in the Aesop fable about the Grasshopper and the Ant. Your actions in Portland, whatever you might think they look like, look to everyone else who pulls their own weight in this country like you are prancing about with a fiddle singing Oh, the world owes me a living!.

Grow the crap up and start pulling your own weight.

And clean up after yourselves for Christs sake.

• vb on November 13, 2011 at 1:20 am

Vitriolic bullsh*t.
      When 1% control the wealth and the power and enslave the 99%, it is inevitable that some of the enslaved will internalize the propaganda. Seems you have done just this.
      Educate yourself.
      Thanks to those brave and strong enough to stand together in Pdx for the rights of us all.

• Robert G on November 13, 2011 at 1:34 am

hell ya, thank you.

• Robert G on November 13, 2011 at 1:43 am

peacful protest STFU and throw a rock already so we can start shooting.

• Evan on November 13, 2011 at 2:27 am

Youre just jealous. So funny, and so innocent you really are. If name calling gets you off, keep smokin your own hubris; well still love ya even if you never come around.

• Irritated on November 13, 2011 at 3:44 am

If you have not been there you have no right to judge or to criticize the people there for being there or why they are there. I cannot be there but I support the stance; I was laid off for no fault of my own but the poor economy and have not been able to get a job for over a year and its not because I smoke pot or do drugs at all. Its not because I don’t have skills or didn’t finish high school. I was in the top 3rd of my high school class and have a degree in accounting, I am a OSHA certified forklift operator, I have been a delivery driver for a retail chain, among other things in my life so far. I have a higher than average I.Q. and learn quickly and can do almost anything an employer could want anyone to do and I am sure that most if not all of them there can do the same and probably have similar stories. You must not get it we want to pull our own weight but no one will give us a chance to show we can. I have applied to do everything ever thought of for everyone you have ever thought you have heard of; and 99% wont even tell me to f**k off.

Its not silly to want jobs for everyone and want corruption to leave our government system. Its not silly to want the rich to have the same tax rated posed on them as they are us you don’t even make 100k a year. In fact the rich should have higher taxes, and it should be illegal for all of the companies to give jobs to Mexico and India and Cuba that should be here, just because its cheaper and the companies are greedy does not mean that we should go hungry because our jobs are now gone.

• Angela Lee on November 13, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I have pulled my own weight and am now a nearly-70 year old retired woman who is very fortunate in still finding myself among the shrinking middle-class. Why are you calling these people (who, by the way, are not just young people) marxists and communists? And until unions were formed in this country several years ago we had a situation that we seem to be fast moving back to the Robber Baron days when people were dispensable and treated like so much flotsam.

I would suggest to the person that posted that nonsense that they read the U.S. Constitution. If you have read it then apparently you dont subscribe to it and therefore what you have to say is a moot point.

• regulargal on November 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I agree! You are a small fraction of the 99%. The rest of us would like you to leave the parks so they can be cleaned, leaves the streets so traffic can get through, and stop smoking so much so we and our children can breathe.

You have a right to protest: please start to do it responsibly. Youre making a mockery of real free speech. Take your iPads and cell phones home and go occupy Twitter (maybe with some well thought out debate points please). None of you have experienced true oppression. Your filthy protest is wasting my tax dollars that could be going to housing the homeless or funding schools.

• Lisbeth Applefield on November 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm

You are among the many dumbed-down in this country which is part of the problem. And, for Christs sake act like him and cut back on your tea MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Chuck on November 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm

AMEN! The better proportion of these protesters dont know the difference between a dividend and derivative, global economics is an even greater leap! Indeed they feel the results of what appears unfair but, gathering like a bunch of Woodstock throwbacks will solve nothing. It increases the tax burden, limits available social services, ruins parks and gives the attention babies just what they need. Bank of America dropped their $5.00 debit card fee NOT because of a group of children with nothing better to do gathering at their doorstep. Define the problem you protest and enact a plan that actually does some good. I saw channel 8 interview a young girl at the front line; she couldnt formulate a cohesive thought and failed to answer the simplest inquiry!

• Portland native on November 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm

LOLsomeone needs a hug.

• bubblepopper on November 13, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Your comment is not true.find out who the people are who are protesting. I am a 40 something single mother who works incredibly hard in the public school system with special needs children. I have taken so many pay freezes and furlough days now that I cant make ends meet anymore. Tax wise I am at the poverty level even though I have been working since I graduated and put myself through school when I was 25. I make all the right financial choices, I have very little debt, and I do not spend frivolously. Still, my quality of life is very poor sometimes I go without a meal so my daughter can eat her fill. Yes, I have it better than most because at least I have a job. Every day I work helping families who have it worse than me families whose parents are working harder for less money. I am an everyday person. I am not a hippie, not a jobless complaining youth just a normal person trying to make each and every penny I make count towards something of value.my daughter’s future. I am struggling everyday to survive in a totally broken system. I am the 99%

• kc on November 13, 2011 at 7:06 pm

So clearly you express the very characteristics of a spoiled child and one who DOESNT pull their weight otherwise you would know how hard it actually isespecially with the way America has evolved FROM a working society to AN oligarchic, extremely controlled and propagandistic society that LIMITS the very choices we have FOR pulling our own weight. This movement is about changing that to where WE CAN PULL OUR OWN WEIGHT. More than that, this movement is about the fact that we DONT HAVE ANY WEIGHT TO PULL because of the rampant greed of corporations and wealthy people. I love wealthy people, I know them. I want to be one one dayhowever Im AGAINST greed that marginalizes and takes advantage of PEOPLE TRYING TO PULL THEIR OWN WEIGHT to take away the very buck the weight-pullers were trying to grab themselves. Im tired of the burden that falls on my family and I because wealthy people DONT REPORT THEIR REAL INCOME THUS NOT PULLING THEIR OWN WEIGHT. Ive sat across the table from a financial advisor and friends who schooled me on how to evade taxes, minimize my income reporting, and put money in places that cant be taxed international holdings and investments, REITs, charitable donations (which go back to what you would have been taxed), under the table income, private bargains and more. Now THAT is not pulling your own weight if you ask meits taking PUTTING MORE WEIGHT on those already trying to pull their own and taking away the ability to make more money. Get a grip and YOU grow up. Realize whats really happening in this world stop trying to live in some fantasy land. Aint no such thing as people pulling their own weight because were dominated by a few who have all the political, capital, and police power. Get over yourself.

• kc on November 13, 2011 at 7:09 pm

NOT TO MENTION, AS SOMEONE WHOSE WORKED WITH CREDIT: SOME RICH FOLKS DONT EVEN PAY THEIR DEBTS OFF AND HAVE HORRIBLE CREDIT SCORES, but continue to borrow using their capital power. THUS COSTING THE BANK AND THEIR INSURERS A TON OF MONEY which CONTRIBUTES to their FAILURE and the government BAILING THEM OUT BECAUSE OF IT. Pull your own weight, huh?

Inflation of currency and the goods that we consume/use with it.also inflating because of greed? pull your own weight huh? We dont live in a meritocracy, duh! Your comments are the result of being EXTREMELY sheltered and spoiled.

• patrick on November 14, 2011 at 6:49 am

:D

8. Briiian on November 13, 2011 at 1:25 am

Camping out in a public park is pointless. You cant overthrow anything being peaceful you stupid hippies. Think of how any government was overthrown throughout history. Its always been through sheer brutal violent force. You cant regain power for the average person by saying youre peaceful & occupying. Might as well spend your pot money on cocaine instead, maybe it will give you the proper violent mindset to actually accomplish something.

• occupypdxer on November 13, 2011 at 4:54 am

So repeating history is what we should be working on? Or should we be MAKING history?

• Mccoy on November 13, 2011 at 4:46 pm

You should fix the park and go away!!

• Devan on November 13, 2011 at 7:47 pm

We are making history.

• Lisbeth Applefield on November 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Perhaps you should take a look at the Arab Spring movements which were mostly peaceful and successful. Even the over-throw of the British government in 1230 was bloodless, leading to the Magna Carta. Do some homework would you please!

• Galen on November 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Think of how any government was overthrown throughout history. It’s always been through sheer brutal violent force

You think so? Ruling classes dont think so and they should know.

The Soviet Union and all the governments of eastern Europe fell because people were out in the steets. The Shah of Iran. The Marcos dictatorship. Mubarak in Egypt. Ben Ali in Tunisia. Millions of people in the streets brought them all down.

Get 5 million people marching and occupying the Congress, the White House and the Supreme Court and see what happens.

9. vb on November 13, 2011 at 2:55 am

really appreciate the livestream real time video (though the quality is marginal at times) but can you perhaps lessen your conversation and increase reports on occurrences and announcements from speakers, please.

10. Ingrid on November 13, 2011 at 3:05 am

I love the youre sexy, yourre cute, take off that riot suite! chant! Do it again!

11. Greg on November 13, 2011 at 3:15 am

Please dont pay attention to this person behind the curtain protestors. They are simply a victim of this lying corporate mass media, that want to marginalize and victimize its own people.

They have no morals, no incentive, NO COURAGE and no idea, how our constitutional rights as citizens, operate in this country.

Intimidation, propaganda, lies and profiling the American citizens ARE CRIMES. Utilizing your rights to protest in a peaceful manner however, IS NOT!!

Now, go away little one, and let the real patriots in this country, exercise their right to free speech!!

My goodness!! Even my children dont act like this. Of course, our family doesnt subscribe to cable either.

12. Shawn on November 13, 2011 at 3:28 am

I love all my brothers and sisters out there protesting along side me. Stay strong everyone.

13. Rebecca on November 13, 2011 at 3:52 am

ditto Liane

Im sorry I havent been there with you all

Just know there are thousands of supporters who may not be able to show up, or even speak up. Many, many hearts are with you.

3:30AM Sunday- there was 3,400 watching the livestream. We are with you.

To all of you for doing all of this. Youve made peaceful history today!

KUDOS!!!

14. ThereInSpirit on November 13, 2011 at 4:10 am

Well, I can’t say much about the jobs personally, because I had one, lost it, and managed to get a new one but for other people it’s ridiculous. But, the fact that the rich make so much, but don’t get taxed sh*t but we do and we get what. minimum wage?? A little more, to support ourselves and our families, and we get jipped on taxes. They get bailed out. So why the hell cant we?? The people of the World and of America should be heard and listened to by our leaders. We want what is best for us and our families, friends, and other loved ones. 99% of the people yet we are only 1% important and it should not be that way.

15. MarkS on November 13, 2011 at 5:48 am

Maryland is watching and with you! Love to all of you at Occupy Portland. Thank you for fighting for what is right and good. Occupy Everywhere!

16. Laurie Dougherty on November 13, 2011 at 6:50 am

To Occupy Portland, Watching the livestream and reading your blog from Salem, OR. I salute your courage and the peaceful determination with which you faced the police.

17. Gaillove on November 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Looks like George Orewell under estimated the peoples spirit when it comes to media watching cameras. You look good Portland and all the young protestors. Thank you and keep up the good work. There are other parks and other meeting places. I will be watching and following and hope good things come out of this courageous movement. Keep safe into tonight! I will pray for everyones safety. We are all watching . . . coporate too. To those who just dont get it, this movement is not going anywhere . . . it is just beginning . . . so get used to it. Thank God they fight for my rights, you just wanna let corporate walk on my rights.

18. regulargal on November 13, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Please get off the streets! You are not representing the 99% at all. We are law-abiding, hard-working people who do not destroy public property. You are NOT the majority. Your constitutional right to free speech is NOT a right to stand where ever you want or camp where ever you want. Youre a disgrace to what the forefathers intended. Shame on you.

19. Maria on November 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Kudos to you all who are brave enough and young enough and healthy enough to stand up for us all. I wish I was able to tolerate the cold but due to health issues I cant . You have my full support and Ill do what I can from the sidelines. Love you all and THANK YOU AGAIN. Rock on , my beautiful Portlandians.

20. Cheyette Liverwurst on November 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Energies would be better spent occupying banks, stock exchanges, the Fed, i.e., the actual objects of the grievances, not the downtown park of the most progressive city in the country.

21. MJ on November 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Freedom of speech does not mean standing toe to toe with police officers doing their job. Freedom of speech is speaking in a way that does not result in a riot because that is all your are doing is rioting (definition of riot: a disturbance of the public peace by three or more persons acting together in a disrupting and tumultuous manner in carrying out their private purposes.). Your freedom of speech as you call it is only ruining whatever voice you had at one point.

You are not asking for the allowance of your freedoms, you are taking advantage of a situation. The 1st amendment gives you the right to petition you are not petitioning you are protesting and the 1st amendment does not guarantee you a place to petition. The first amendment does not state that you can break the laws in order to demonstrate your freedom of speech.

You want to change things then change something following the laws that the rest of the 99% you claim to represent are trying to guard and follow!

22. BREAKING NEWS: Occupy Portland | Occupy Central on November 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm

[...] Check out our live video feed! [...]

23. Debbie on November 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Stay strong and safe. I am watching all this on TV but I am with you in spirit. I am in full support of the Occupy Portland movement. Keep it up and thanks so much for speaking out for the 99% while still remaining peaceful. You are making history and I am proud of you.

24. Skyler Shane on November 13, 2011 at 3:57 pm

The voices of reason, the man and woman on the bullhorn requesting a general assembly meeting at a park nearby, was drowned out by immature young people who dont have a clue about sacrifices and the 99%. Pick up your silly tent, take your donuts, and go group up and figure out a productive way to help your fellow man.

25. 99% on November 13, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Ever think of moving to Vancouver? Parks downtownplus a nice park on the west side off of 136th attorneys offices and foreclosure companies as well as many big banks right off of park plaza.

26. stan chaz on November 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Our emperors have no clothes. Our emperors have no shame. These governors, mayors, city councils, police chiefs and street cops of America need to realize that it is NOT UP TO THEM whether or not Americans peaceably gather, protest, discuss, or demonstrate. Its up to a document called the US CONSTITUTION. You can beat us and arrest us and tear-gas us, you can try to permit us to death.but you cant kill an idea. You cant keep down a people’s hopes and dreams for a better life..a life with dignity and freedom.for us, and for our kids. With OWS America has found it’s voice, and that voice demands fairness and justice for ALL. This land IS our land! AND WE WANT IT BACK! We want our LIVES back! We want our FUTURE back! But it’s much more than words. it’s much more than politics..­.. it’s your LIFE, and how you want to live it. Find a quiet place somewhere, and consider this: Each of us has only one brief life.on­e chance.­one roll of the dice.and many choices. The time has come to choose.to riskand to act. If not nowthen when? If not you, then.who? You DO have the power my friend.and the choice IS yours. Don’t let your dreams die

• Mccoy on November 13, 2011 at 4:45 pm

blah, blah, blah, help repair the park and then go the F away.

• kc on November 13, 2011 at 6:54 pm

if you dont suppor the movement mccoy, then why are you on the website? doesnt make any sense to me, Im just sayin

• Mccoy on November 15, 2011 at 6:31 am

Comedic relief

• Nala on November 13, 2011 at 7:36 pm

• herman cain on November 13, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Hahaha thats almost as funny as my stupid ass running for president!!!

• d'anne Brockelbank on November 13, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Occupy Denver stands with you supports you solidarity!

• Andrew Deal on November 13, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I was so proud of how you all made a stand throughout the night last night, committed to non-violent action. I got up early and watched with admiration at the level of restraint from both sides. Although the State still snuck in later when you were tired and vulnerable, taking the air out from your moral victory in standing strong, you have a lot to be proud of.

I hate to think that they feel proud of themselves, coming in to fence up the parks after the all-nighter, knowing the depth of their resources could outlast you with a second shift. They let your good-conscience members do a bunch of much needed cleanup, then rewarded them by fencing everyone out.

I am just an observant citizen to all this, with mixed emotions about the actions on both sides, but I want you to know that you DID out-class the Adams clan over the last 24 hours in my opinion, and I hope that it is not forgotten.

Please remain peaceful, assertive, and get clear. There is much that can be done to achieve a sustainable, prosperous, self-reliant community in the long run. I truly hope you form constructive new alliances in the days ahead and can avoid those that would co-opt you into supporting an even more oppressive police state society.

• Malkeer on November 13, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Long Live Capitalism.

We have such a great economic system in place for people who are smart enough to get a job.

We are so Blessed.

• Nala on November 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Oh read the constitution again bro it says that there is to be the executives! duhh

27. aaron armsworthy on November 13, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I wish i could get behind you guys but i cant see your problem with wall street its was u,s,troops makin 100k a year in two wars that broke this country it wasnt wall street and half the members of your movement are ex soldiers sometimes i think your movement is a militant conspiracy designed to divert attention that they raped our nation and pin it on wall street,And what is your major problem today the cops violating your constitutional rights,and what are you going to do when they call in the national guard,i been sayin this all along the militants have takin over this country, you guys are really confused, its good to see someone take a stand though but you guys are not going to start to realize whom your true enemy is until the arrests pile up and i tell you again its not wall street,hell the generals control wall street how do you think they finance the wars.

• occupypdxer on November 14, 2011 at 11:31 am

Its important to keep in mind that generals, politicians, and those on Wall St. have an ongoing game of musical chairs. We need to stop the revolving door.

28. Portland native on November 13, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Kudos to all of you for keeping this non violent.
    Stay strong brothers and sisters!

I am the 99%.

29. Emma Redfoot on November 13, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Interesting article providing statistics on employment rates with Occupiers. We are united, and employed!

30. Emma Redfoot on November 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Occupiers are united, and employed!

31. Elizabeth on November 13, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Thank God you are out! Go away! You dont represent anything of any meaning. Thank you Mike Reese and all of the Portland Police. YOU ROCK!!!

32. Let's Clean up the Parks!! on November 13, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Now it is the time to CLEAN UP AND RESTORE CHAPMAN AND LOWNSDALE PARK. Is there ANY committee, work group, or personnel in Occupy that I can talk to about this?? PLEASE RESPOND!!!

33. Scott on November 13, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Please get closer to the speakers! We cant hear anything, which makes the live feed sort of useless!

34. Jasmine on November 13, 2011 at 7:37 pm

looks like you all are falling apart and you cant make up your minds.
    I think the city should send you all the bill for the damage to the parks and why should the taxpayes have to pay for the cops to babysit (protect and serve)you people?

You all have cause the people of Portland not to beable to use 2 parks, not to able to use the city streets you have occupyed. How is that fair to the regular people in the city that their lives continue as normal day to day. You are stepping on their rights.

35. Nala on November 13, 2011 at 7:40 pm

This NOT okay! THis is dangerous for alot of people! Theres alot of health hazards. 12:01am was da dead line get the h*ll outta there!

36. JD on November 13, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Please stay AWAY from PSU. Portland State has NOTHING to do with your movement. We are students. We are here to learn so we can contribute positively to society. Please dont take away the dignity of that institution by tainting it with irrelevant protests. Find a different place to move your camp. You are not welcome on our campus.

• patrick on November 14, 2011 at 6:45 am

I am informed that some PSU students have elected to have a walk-out and assembly, without Occupy Portland suggesting they do so. I am curious why they have chosen to occupy their parks, in the coming days, if the occupy movement is irrelevant to them.

37. Lolgohome on November 13, 2011 at 8:44 pm

You are not 99% of anything. I once supported your movement, when it had cause, now its just civilized anarchy. Your first amendment rights allow you to petition to protest, not to occupy parks and destroy something that once was beautiful(Im talking about the cesspool you left behind in your wake).

Get over yourselves, you speak for less than 20% of this country. I was born poor, raised poor, still am poor, through my own stupid mistakes. Stop feeling so entitled to everything. You are entitled to nothing in this world.

You will not win. This is not class warfare, this is a pathetic excuse of a protest by some drugged out people that will never be able to accept that life isnt fair. My only advice to you is to put down the pipe, go home, take a shower, go find a job and stop with this annoying attention seeking behavior. Why the media even gives you clowns the time of day I do not understand.

Every single person in this country can still make something of themselves and become part of the 1% you people however do not want to take the time to do anything of the sort so go join a drum circle and hit that joint and stop causing a scene.

• patrick on November 14, 2011 at 6:41 am

I have a job as an occupier, as a tutor for children, and a freelance web developer.

I agree that the media attention is terrible. I agree that drug use in a public park isnt the best idea. However, how the media depicts the world isnt always how things really are. The truth is there are many people out there banging drums, in sight of cameras. What the media seldom sees is those working on planning actions to bring media attention to problems in our society, those taking direct actions against banks with swindle our money and feed those dollars to corrupt politicians, and feed the hungry.

It seems that at any political action, less than 10% actually are there to dedicate their to fighting for change. Occupy is no different, in that regard. Those not actively fighting are easily used to vilify and dirty the view of the Occupation. However, I dont see too much of a problem with enjoying music, having a beer after work, or not receiving financial compensation for hard work.

I hope we can regain your support in the future.

• Lolgohome on November 15, 2011 at 8:48 am

I was there several days between the start and end of chapman square occupation, my view comes from seeing it firsthand. I dont have cable, I dont feel the need, because everything on television has some agenda theyre trying to push. I get my news firsthand from experiencing the events, and my opinion is based on it.

If I may make a suggestion, the term occupy is just dirty in itself. It makes it sound like the occupation of europe, and other countries in the past. If you arent marxists, which Im really not sure of at this point, find a different term without such a dirty confrontation. My grandpa lost a kidney in the war against Marxists, and if that is your agenda, you should probably take a look at the last time communism tried to take over. It doesnt work.

The one thing I will agree on anymore is Banks got bailed out, we got sold out. Maybe if you guys had chosen one thing to fight for, instead of the numerous signs about different things such as: tax weed, and greed, Boycott Israel(thats really racial stereotyping,) and other signs I saw down there. I think the thing that pissed me off the most is the grafiti on the side of the bathroom that said repo this real classy.

The only way I would ever support this movment is if you actually got your shit together and tried to change one thing at a time, not everything.

Good day.

38. Love the irony on November 13, 2011 at 8:45 pm

The police have protected your right to free speech against the government for the last 5 weeks. Thank them for that.

The constitution permits you to speak against your government without the fear of retribution from government. It doesnt give you a stage to speak, it doesnt give you an audience to hear what youve got to say. You are free to speak, and that right has been protected by the police that i paid for.

Sounds like youve got everything you want.

• deew on November 13, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Thank you for acknowledging our Portland Police officers.

39. Vintagetele on November 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

It was amazing to watch the protest last night live here and on TV. Thanks for speaking out and making a stand. Here is why thats important:

The economic elites AKA the 1% have controlled the power structures of America for too long. You can say that they have occupied America.

They have occupied Congress first with armies of lobbyists and now with Citizens United and through unlimited money for bribery and blackmail, their own members of Congress

They have occupied the Senate with endless filibusters, holds , poison pills and all manner of other procedural maneuvers to make sure nothing gets done.

They have occupied the white house with phony and hokey lip service to the peoples work, meaningless rhetoric and campaign promises, endless campaign contributions, meaningless scandals, frivolous witch hunts and astroturf mockery of the people.

They have occupied the Supreme Court with ideological rubber stamp yes men activist judges sweeping away century old protections against the corruption of the PEOPLEs congress and deciding of the PEOPLEs elections.

They have occupied the PEOPLEs airwaves with 24/7 political spin from the owners radical right wing agendas from News and Infotainment talk shows.

They have occupied the downtown squares of almost every US town with cookie cutter franchise businesses that muscle out local flavor and siphon local money to far away places and to the pockets of a few billionaires.

They have occupied public US aquifers with fracking fluids and industrial poisons.

They have occupied the air with too much C02 and muddied the water of overwhelmingly unanimous scientific thought on why thats a problem.

They have occupied and contaminated public ocean water with dangerous oil and tar from unsafe oil rigs while tapping public reserves with publicly subsidized oil exploration.

They have occupied the shelves of big box US stores with cheap foreign products made in slave labor conditions that provide a short term savings to consumers but in the long term picture drain all the wealth from the US.

They have occupied our mail with offer after offer of consumer credit lines at loan shark interest rates from publicly insured too big to fail banks run by absurdly rich executives.

They have occupied an extraordinary portion of our paychecks with outrageous premiums for medical insurance, paying for more absurd multimillion dollar a year executive pay, leaving us deciding what corners to cut on our families.

They have occupied our homes by removing protections to the economy and engaging in destabilizing high stakes gambling on the financial markets that causes boom and bust cycles that leave us unemployed and our homes bank owned and foreclosed upon.

They have occupied the employees of our schools, military and prisons with private corporations and private mercenaries run by crony capitalists that siphon the wealth of the public treasury.

They have literally occupied the earth with a network of military bases and war zones.

We, the 99%, would mostly be happy to play the capitalist game, have successful careers, provide our kids with fulfilling lives and help you get rich too and even get rich ourselves, but the 1% have tipped the tables too far, have TAKEN OUR MONEY and OUR RESOURCES and OUR COUNTRY IS HURTING and WE ARE HURTING as a result.

For all these reasons and many more, including our constitutionally guaranteed rights, a public space in every city needs to be held for this message to keep getting put out there until it gets through. THERE IS SIMPLY NO OTHER VENUE. You said your piece now go home, so business as usual can continue? NO!

We can handle some dirt on one or two public squares to get this message out. Thanks for your work! Peace out.

40. zim on November 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm

hey this is history in the making i know we can do it guys/girls stick in their yeah they can move us all we wont but we will do what we do to make it clear to make this change.> this is the time are time down hear but these so called banks aka the people that f*** are money over when we could put in tords are cities f** the stocks why why what happen to where we dident have to live like this u can do it we can make a difference in the werold .

• Mccoy on November 15, 2011 at 9:11 am

I am pretty sure that you are not smarter than a 5th grader. Great example of these occupy folks. lol

41. deew on November 13, 2011 at 10:28 pm

There you sit in a pile of shit, acting like animals wallowing in the mud, needles, scabies and your own feces. How is this getting your point across? Who is paying for this mess? The 99%, certainly not you who has destroyed 3 parks and have no conscience.TRUE Oregonians would NEVER trash those parks and leave that pig sty that you left in those parks. Shame on you!!!!!!! This protest is a waste of City resources..money that could have been used to help the homeless and mentally challenged. SHAME ON EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU!!!!!!!

• patrick on November 14, 2011 at 6:21 am

You are correct when you say that the hundreds of thousands of dollars the city has wasted on dispatching (yet somehow not policing) our encampment is terrible. It is not the choice of the occupiers to dispatch police, however. It is not the people of the encampments fault there are people (with addictions and mental illnesses) who have been living on the streets since before the occupation. The occupation isnt allowed to physically remove trouble-makers, as that would be assault and battery.

I encourage you to consider the fact that clearing the parks will strengthen the numbers of people who identify with the movement. If more parks will be occupied and if the government chooses to continue to waste money raiding these parks how much money will be wasted? The occupation is a symptom of something very wrong with the system. Why would people choose to get arrest, beaten, and live in what you describe as a pigsty when they have safe homes of their own? The government should work with its demonstrating citizens to find what is wrong and help its people.

• Jasmine on November 14, 2011 at 7:55 am

The mayor threw you out, you had no permit to a peaceful assembly, you took over the streets, blocked traffic which is illegal. That is not your city, there are many normal people that live day to day working hard for what they have and you are getting in their way. You people distroyed 2 parks, cost the taxpayers money with your foolishness. You all act like you own the city or something well you dont. You treated the police badly. Taunting them. They are doing their job.You are not above the laws, and that is what I see is a bunch of lawless people that dont have a clue.

Wow I cant believe the arrogance of you people. You are not the 99% you are the .01%. I am part of the working class,paying taxes, investing in the stock market 99%, you do not represent me !!!

42. Judi on November 14, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I watched the live stream and was amazed at the restraint of those on both sides particularly the OP crowd. Im an avid Occupy supporter because I see the gradual collapse of the social and economic system in this country and the Occupy movement is the only thing that might slow the collapse, avoiding incredible chaos and suffering. It has the potential for building something that works for everyone.
    For those who want life to just get back to normal, I urge you to educate yourself about what the core members of the Occupy movement are trying to accomplish a safety net for everyone when your jobs and homes and wonderful lives disappear out from under you.
    Those you vilify for their homelessness, their poverty, their mental health disorders that leave them incapable of accessing the means of survival, they are in you city already and the police and other systems of government have swept their existence under the rug so you dont have to brush up against them.
    If your wonderful society hasnt been able to deal compassionately and effectively with these populations, then please dont expect the Occupy movements to do any better. If anything, they are trying to figure out how to address the issues that the traditional society has turned its back on.
    Its one of the many reasons we exist. We arent going away. Though I dont camp at my citys site, I march with them, support them, and am working to spread the word and practices of the truly democratic social order of the Occupy movement.
    Portland, you rock! Get some much needed rest and know you are appreciated.
    Judi

43. Wheels on November 14, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I have talked to and surveyed multiple students attending PSU today and I do not think occupying the PSU campus Park Blocks is such a good idea. I will support anywhere the movement goes, but it is from my understanding the majority at PSU does not agree with the movement occupying an institution for higher education. In addition, students and faculty take great pride in the foliage around the campus and the foliage is even used for educational purposes and cannot afford for the resources to be destroyed.

44. Let's Clean up the Parks!! on November 14, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Hey guys: as an occasional volunteer of the kitchen, Im here to see if there is ANY committee, work group, or go-to people focusing on the CLEAN-UP AND RESTORATION of Chapman and Lownsdale Parks after our eviction. If you know guys anything, please respond ASAP!! Thank you!!!

• Wheels on November 14, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I do not think we would be allowed in the parks to redeem ourselves because of the fences. If we were really looking for redemption then we should start by getting together and take a day volunteering our time to clean our up our city by picking up trash, leaves, clean the walls of graffiti, ect. Or, if we are to be allowed to occupy a portion of the city again, we need to take measures so we do not leave the space in the condition we previously left the two parks we occupied. Granted, the seven thousand people that showed up the last night did not help our self-standing.

45. linda on November 14, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I found a awesome animated video that rocks and for the people who do not understand why we have protestors all over the US and abroad -watch this and it may shred a new light.

Weekly Schedule

MOVED TO CITY HALL for 3/25/12
Director Park, SW Park / Yamhill

The Occupier

News from The Portland Occupier

• Constitutional Rights on Trial
  • Springtime in Iran
  • A Corporate Budget or a People’s Budget?
  • From Stand Your Ground To ALEC in a Few Easy Steps
  • Democracy: Now or Later?

E-Newsletter